Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Grumpy Old Men

In honor of Cameron turning 30 and becoming "old," I threw him a "Grumpy Old Men" party.  I asked our friends to dress in their best old geezer outfit.  Little did I know some of the guys would choose to dress like old women...

 Elliott decided to sport a mustache for the evening.  We decided he looked a little creepy...




30 candles

Entertainment for the night included corn hole and beer tasting.  We purchased multiple mix & match packs in a variety of beer types from a local package store.  I'm not a huge beer connoisseur, but even I enjoyed taste testing a few and I know Cameron loved it.  My new personal favorite is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.  Our friends Mary & Poe brought this one to the party.  Unfortunately, it's hard to find locally and Mary brings it back when she visits family in Kentucky.  If you ever get the chance to try it, I highly recommend it.

The menu for the event was made entirely of beer-related recipes.  They were all good and fit right in with the beverages.
 Beer Brats
Beer Boiled Shrimp
Beer Mac & Cheese
Beer Dip with Pretzels
Beer & Cheese Fondue
Guinness Chocolate Cake

The Blue Moon cupcakes are something I have made before.  They are so good.  The icing is a little weird.  It definitely imitates the froth of a beer, but tends to deflate.  So if you don't eat them within 24-48 hours, it's a bit of a mess.  You could always add a little orange juice to regular icing instead.

If you notice in the picture of Cameron blowing out the candles on his birthday cake, the top of the beer is missing.  Our sweet little Lilly decided the cake was too irresistible.  Unfortunately, it contains a large amount of cocoa powder between the cake & icing, so I ended up doing a little vet work to induce vomiting.  Fun times.

Overall, I think the party was a success.  Cameron had fun and I think our friends did too.  Now I have 15 months before I'm old too! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment