Saturday, December 7, 2013

Five on Saturday?

It just doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but this post just wasn't going to happen by Friday.  The Gill household has been crazy busy this week with Christmas parties starting already, plus I've been fighting a cold.  Granted I don't feel that bad, but I seem to get laryngitis every year!  I've been headed to bed as early as possible every night.  Anyways, on to my Friday Five - a day late!

1. WAR EAGLE!!  Of course, I have to give a big shout out to my Auburn Tigers.  If you aren't a big college football fan, I'll fill you in.  Auburn went 3-9 last year without winning a single conference game.  It was the worst season in school history.  We started this year with a new coach hoping for at least 6-6 or 7-5.  We've had an amazing season and last Saturday knocked off our biggest rival, the University of Alabama, who was ranked #1 in the country at the time and hoping to go for their 3rd national championship in a row.  The game stayed close with a lot of ups and downs for both teams.  Coming down to the end of the 4th quarter, we were tied and everyone expected we were headed to overtime.  Alabama had the ball on a running play and ran out of bounds just as the clock ran out.  Saban, their head coach, challenged the time clock to get 1 second left on the clock.  He sent his kicker out to kick a 57 yard field goal.  Gus Malzahn, Auburn's coach, was smart enough to put the fastest guy under the fieldgoal.  When the kick came up short, Chris Davis caught the ball and returned it 109 yards to score the winning touchdown.  According the ESPN, a missed fieldgoal has only been returned for a touchdown 4 times in history and this is the first time it has ever won the game.  Needless to say, Auburn fans went crazy!  In the last week, there has been quite a bit of backlash from Bama fans.  There are definitely a lot of sore losers out there, but maybe it's time they get used to it! :)



2. I have always been a faithful Yankee Candle fan, but I just may be converted to these candles from Bath and Body Works candles.  I talked about the Pumpkin Cupcake candle this fall, and now I have fallen in love with the Cider Lane candle.  It's the perfect candle for Christmas!


3.  I recently ordered a couple of these Supersoft tunics from Gap.  Love them!  They definitely live up their name.  Super comfortable with leggings.  And they also come in Tall sizes, so if you are a tall girl like me always struggling to find tunics long enough to cover your back end, check these out!


4.  I decided to give paperwhites a shot this year.  So far so good.  I'm amazed at how quickly they grow!  I think we are right on schedule to have blooms shortly before Christmas!



5. Speaking of Christmas decor, if you are looking to add a punch of color to your sofa, I highly recommend this velvet throw pillow from World Market.  Only $9.99 a piece!  They aren't the down-stuffed pillows that I usually prefer, but for the price I could pass up the rich red pillows to add to my living room.  They have several rich colors, but the red was perfect for me!


We are off to watch the SEC championship.  Hoping Auburn can continue our amazing season with a win over Missouri!




No comments:

Post a Comment