Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What we did over the holidays - Part 2

Ready for part 2?

Remember the tornado I mentioned?  We got a phone call on Christmas night from Cameron's mom.  Her house had been hit by a tornado.  The house was still standing, but had suffered some damage.  It was hard for Cameron to be so far away and unable to help during such a traumatic time.  Thankfully, Cameron's brother lives down the street and was able to take her home to their house, which lost power, but had no damage.  Mobile is not an area that has many tornadoes, but this was the second one to hit the area in a week!  The first one did minor damage to another area of town, but this one did some heavier damage to a couple streets in the midtown area.  A day later, we headed home to Mobile and went straight to Dottie's house.  Walking down her street was unlike anything I've ever seen - trees down, windows blown out, roofs blown off, but the houses were still standing.  I can't even imagine what it's like when a "big" tornado comes through and levels everything.  Dottie's house had multiple windows broken, damage to the roof which caused a lot of water damage, and her garage collapsed on her car, but she is very lucky.  She was not injured during the storm, her pets are safe, her home can be repaired, and the majority of her things were not damaged.

And what holiday season would be complete without a trip to the hunting camp?  Cameron has been many times, but last weekend was the first of the season for me.  I opted to snuggle with the pups rather than venture into the cold to hunt with Cameron.  The dogs always love running at the camp, and we even trusted Dean to let him free as well.

The pups were very excited about the car ride:

There was lots of this:

And plenty of this:

Just in case you were wondering what a hunting camp trailer in Uriah, AL looks like, here it is in all its glory:

It was Dean's first trip, so he was very interested in those things hanging on the wall.

The ride back was a little calmer, with some very tired pups:

Hmm, what's next? New Year's Eve we started the night off with dinner at Mexican restaurant with our friend Harry.  Nothing fancy.  Then we headed downtown where we snagged seats at a bar to finish watching the LSU-Clemson game.  I was sticking with the SEC, but LSU let me down in the final minutes.  We met up with Mary & Poe and wandered downtown for a while before ringing in the new year at the moonpie drop.  Yep, a moonpie.  Moonpies are a popular throw at Mardi Gras parades around here so the moonpie has become an icon for Mobile.  I'm kinda partial to the banana ones myself...

my husband knows me well - if we're outside in the cold, don't bring me a cold beer without a coozie!

the iphone camera failed me - that's a moonpie!

Happy 2013!

 After the official start of 2013, we headed inside the Battlehouse hotel, where I had to get a few final Christmas pics.

I guess that's about it.  The decorations are down and put away, the resolutions have been made, it's time to get back to normalcy.  Unless, of course, you live in Mobile - Mardi Gras comes early this year.  The first parade is this Saturday on Dauphin Island.  Let the good times roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment