Monday, September 30, 2013

Gulf Shores in the Fall


Last weekend, Cameron and I decided to take Friday off and head down to Gulf Shores for a long weekend at the beach.  When we mentioned it to friends, the group grew.  Some came down Thursday night, others Friday after work.  It turned out to be an amazing weekend!  I've mentioned before that fall is one of my favorite times at the beach and this weekend was the perfect example of why - gorgeous sunny weather with a breeze in the air and no crowds.

My weekend had a rough start - nasty cat bite at work on Thursday.  Punctured both sides of my finger -straight through my fingernail.  Thankfully, I started antibiotics within hours of the bite and actually had an M.D. and a P.A. with us for my wound care.  Being a vet isn't always fun & games! :) The throbbing has finally subsided and this is what it looks like now:




We spent all day Friday riding around on the boat...


Mary & I picked out our dream houses...

who wouldn't want a private little peninsula complete with a hammock??
Lunch at Pirates Cove - and made a few new friends...



Spent plenty of time on Robinson Island...




world's tiniest hermit crab

of course I couldn't help but collect more shells #hoarder
yes those are tiny seashells at the bottom.  Told you - I'm obsessed.


Made a stop at the Florabama for bushwackers, then enjoyed a beautiful sunset...


By Friday evening everyone had arrived.  We had grand plans of making it out, but after dinner at the house, opted for a relaxing evening in.

Saturday morning, we hit the beach.





The problem with going to the beach in the fall is that football season gets in the way.  By 2:30 part of the group started heading in to watch the LSU-UGA game, then we were all instructed to be ready to head to the restaurant in time for Bama's kickoff.  Auburn had a bye week so I was perfectly content to lay on the beach until the very last minute!


After watching the Bama game, we headed to The Gulf, a restaurant/bar Cameron and I found earlier this summer.  Best atmosphere ever!


 They also have an adorable gift shop...


Sunday morning, we hung around the dock on the lagoon - postponing the end of our trip.  It's so hard knowing that summer really is coming to an end!  The boys fished and even caught a huge trout and a few crabs - perfect for lunch on the last day.



being resourceful - tongs + soft drink box = perfect way to grab & contain crabs


I'm sure we will get in another few boat rides before the weather turns cold, but it's always sad for me to say goodbye to the beach.  Until next year!




2 comments:

  1. hey love! just found your blog from last week's linkup! you are too cute!!! glad to be a new follower...looking forward to reading along!

    happy, happy weekend!
    xx
    elise
    www.cheersyall-thehoustons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! You are too sweet! Checked out your blog and I'm loving the 31 days posts. Will definitely be following along!

      Delete