Monday, September 16, 2013

It's Great To Be An Auburn Tiger!

Last weekend, Cameron and I headed up to Auburn for the Mississippi State football game.  We weren't able to get any of our friends to go/meet us there, so it was just us two.  We really enjoyed being on campus and reminiscing about the "good old days!"  Since it was a night game (my favorite), we left Mobile early Saturday morning.  A stop by Starbucks for the first pumpkin spice latte of the season and we were on our way!

Since we got to town so early, we were still able to find a tailgate spot and set up our tent and chairs.  Definitely low-key!

After a while we decided to walk around campus, hit up the bookstores and my favorite shops on College Street, and look for a bar to watch the Alabama-Texas A&M game.  I picked up a new sticker for my car (my old one was in rough shape) and this cute new shirt.


Toomer's corner looks so empty without the trees!



But how great is this print of Job 14:7?
at Auburn Art
Downtown was packed and our first few attempts at finding empty seats somewhere to watch the Bama game failed.  But then we remembered the new restaurant, The Hound, where our old favorite, the Auburn Ale House used to be.  It's tucked behind the main drag so lots of people don't know/forget about it.  I talked about it here when we first went to it this spring.  Bourbon + bacon + great atmosphere = my new favorite restaurant.  My turkey, bacon, & avocado sandwich was amazing, and to drink I tried out the "Creek Water,' which mixes bourbon & sweet tea with a little lemon & mint.  Just might be my new favorite drink!

Before heading to the game we decided to stop by the Vault, or Bodegas for all you old kids.  Funny that it will forever be Bodegas in my mind?

And how is this for the best game day shirt ever?

By then it was time to head to the game.  Our tickets were in the upper deck and when we were climbing to our seats I realized the eagle was set to be released from right near our seats.   I was so excited to be so close and get a great picture of him flying.  Unfortunately, with the sun in our eyes we couldn't see him at all until he was close to the field!  Oh well!  If you've never seen the War Eagle fly, it's an incredible experience.

Gametime!





It was a rough game, but a W is a W right?  The last 2 minutes were so intense!  Not sure why we didn't play that way the whole time.  Nothing like pulling out the winning touchdown with 10 seconds to go.  I really thought I might have a heart attack!

This video making the rounds on Facebook really brings tears to my eyes.  Makes me miss the days of the student section!


Of course we had to head to Toomer's Corner.  Since the trees are gone, the put up "victory wires" across the intersection.  Can't say I'm a fan but oh well.  It seems like other people aren't either because the fans have taken to rolling the trees on the entire block now.  Now that I love!






It was a great weekend, made even better by a win!  I miss Auburn so much and I'm always in shock at how much things have changed in the few short years I've been gone.  A piece of my heart will always be on the Plains!

No comments:

Post a Comment