Monday, March 19, 2012

The Avett Brothers and a Late Foodie Friday

Giving up the internet at night has made a dent in my blogging time! I completely missed Foodie Friday.  But I do have a reason. This weekend, the Avett Brothers were playing at the Amphitheater at the Wharf in Orange Beach.  If you haven't ever heard them, I highly recommend them!  They are hard to classify, but I would call them folk country-rock.  Cameron and I were definitely going to the concert and decided to make it a beach weekend with some friends. The Avett Brothers put on a great show. 

 Unfortunately for us, the guy behind us liked to express his enthusiasm with stomping, but was not blessed with the Avett Brothers' rhythm.  Nevertheless, we still had an awesome time! :)


On Saturday and Sunday we took advantage of the beautiful Gulf coast weather and hung out on the beach.  It was so weird on Saturday because the fog rolled in just on the beach.
 
 The rest of Gulf Shores was bright and sunny.  I think it was because the water was so cold still and the weather has been so warm?  It was very strange to be sitting on the beach with the sun shining and warm, but yet you couldn't see very far down the beach.  The fog broke for a couple hours in the middle of the day and we enjoyed every second!  We definitely enjoyed our taste of spring on the last weekend of winter!

As for Foodie Friday, I do have a couple things to share.  I never got around to making those cookies!  For our meatless dish we tried grilled portobello mushrooms.  This was a stretch for both of us.  Neither of us are big fans of mushrooms when they get slimy.  Much to our surprise, this was delicious.  You grill the mushrooms then add chopped tomato, fresh mozzarella, & basil with some olive oil.  So good!  I think next time though, we will use a whole slice of mozzarella and melt it on the mushroom while its grilling.
To go with the Portobellos, I made another one of Giada's recipes - Creamy Orzo.  We may be going meatless for a night, but certainly not carb-less.  I have to have something to fill me up!

We also made Teriyaki Chicken Bacon Skewers this week.  I found the recipe on Pinterest, although it's not really much of a recipe.  Basically, you marinate the chicken in teriyaki (I made a basic marinade from All Recipes, good but makes a ton!!), wrap with bacon, then alternate on the skewer with pineapple and grill.  Pretty simple and good, but it does take some time to wrap the chicken pieces.

That's about it for this week! 
~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment