Thursday, March 21, 2013

Before & After: Guestrooms & Upstairs Bathroom

So I decided to lump the upstairs rooms all together because we have done the least amount of work here.  Our primary living spaces are all downstairs and honestly we don't use the upstairs much except for the treadmill (which we only use if we can't run outside), my craft space (I'm still working on that New Year's resolution...), or when guests are here.  Out of sight, out of mind right?  Upstairs we have two bedrooms and a bathroom.  The previous owners chose much lighter colors up here so I wasn't in as quite a rush to change everything.

BEFORE:


AFTER:



Both of the guestrooms have beadboard ceilings and I love that cottagey feel.  I really didn't mind the green in this room and it actually stayed for a while.  But it didn't really go with the bright green quilt I had for the room.  I still had a whole gallon left over of the Behr Pensive Sky from downstairs so I just went with it.  The striped fabric on the bed is not actually a pillow - yet.  It's a P.Kaufmann fabric I found at a local fabric store.  I plan on making some pillows, curtains and cover the desk chair with it.  I'm searching Craigslist for a cheap armoire I can paint to go in here and store all my craft supplies

BEFORE: 


AFTER:


No, I didn't mess up the pictures.  We've done nothing in here.  Well, I shouldn't say nothing - we did replace the blinds in the window, but that's not in the photo.  The walls in here are a disaster.  Remember when I talked about how uneven the downstairs bathroom walls were - like wallpaper was peeled off then just painted over the glue and ripped off drywall?  This room is way worse.  To the point that I thought it would be easier to just re-drywall.  But I actually have a new plan.  And I'm hoping to get to work on it soon.  I'm going to sand the walls like we did downstairs, then hang beadboard wallpaper

Yep, it's wallpaper that looks/feels just like real beadboard when it's hung.  You can even paint it.  I'm hoping that will help mask any remaining blemishes on the wall.  I thought about planking the wall, but couldn't figure out how to make it work without removing the vanity and I'm hoping to salvage that.  On that topic - I'm going to sand and paint the vanity too.  Colors haven't been chosen yet, but will be based on whatever shower curtain I chose, and I'm leaning towards this one from Pottery Barn.


BEFORE:


AFTER:


I know the wall color looks a little different in the photos, but we didn't change it.  In fact, it's very close to the color we chose for the stairwell/hallway.  This room has had nothing done to it either, except for furniture moved in.  I'd like to make an upholstered headboard for the bed and work on the decor, but nothing major need to be done, just give it some attention!

So now you've seen the house tour.  I promise to update as we make changes.  Hopefully, sharing this will motivate me to get working!

No comments:

Post a Comment