Saturday, February 11, 2012

Foodie Friday

I'm a little late posting this week's Foodie Friday.  Cameron and I went out to celebrate Valentine's Day last night after work.  I'm not a huge Valentine's Day person, but it's always nice to have a date night.  We went to the Little House Bistro out in Semmes.  We have been before and really enjoyed it.  The restaurant is in a cute old home and space is limited so reservations are a must.  They do not serve alcohol but allow you to bring your own wine.  Last visit, we were scared to try the bacon cheesecake appetizer, but have heard so much about it since, we ordered it - DELICIOUS!  Cameron and I both agreed we could eat it as a meal!  Now I'm on the hunt for a similar recipe to see if I can replicate it at home.  Now on to the trial & errors of this week...

Most of my new recipes of the week were for Cameron's birthday party last weekend.  They are listed on the blog post about the party.  I found all of the recipes through Pinterest.  They were all good, but I can't say they will make it into regular rotation.

For Meatless Monday, I made Baked Tortellini.  So easy, but not exactly the vegetable heavy meal I think Cameron intended.  In my defense, he never specified that part! ;)  I at least served it with a salad!  This is so quick and simple to make.  I found the recipe via Pinterest and I think it's supposed to be for some special oven.  I left out the prosciutto (because of Meatless Monday) and probably only used half of the cheese.  I baked it at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.  I tend to follow recipes exactly the first go-round, then adjust later.  I think you could easily make this with red sauce as well and make your own variations, like adding vegetables or meat.
 

The only other new recipe I tried out was Chicken Paprikash from Food Network Magazine.  In case you're wondering, "paprikash" is Hungarian for paprika.  We both really liked it.  I think you could easily use chicken breasts in place of the thighs.  I love boneless chicken thighs on the grill, but I find them to be too fatty otherwise.  My dish didn't look quite like their picture.  It turned out much more red.  Maybe Food Network uses some kind of white paprika I don't know about?  Oh well, it's still a keeper.


That's it for this week.  I'll try to have a few more for next week.  I've noticed I'm sticking with the main dishes again.  Time to branch out!

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment