Sunday, February 12, 2012

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Let the Good Times Roll!

Mardi Gras is in full swing in Mobile (home to the original Mardi Gras, in case you didn't know).  The first few parades started rolling a couple weeks ago, but with Mardi Gras falling early this year and coinciding with the tail end of hunting season, Cameron's birthday, etc, we didn't make it out to many of the early parades.  Last night, we headed downtown to watch several of the women's societies - Maids of Mirth, Order of Butterfly Maidens, & Krewe of Marry Mates.  We met some friends at the Garage, a popular bar downtown.  They have a roll-up metal garage door so patrons can stand inside and watch the parades.  Typically, I don't prefer this location because it tends to live up to the wild Mardi Gras reputation (yes, I am that old) and if a men's group is rolling, their whole goal is to get their throws INTO the bar.  It can become a little violent.  Rather than hands up, I tend to duck for cover!  However, our friends wanted to stand there and with it being a women's parade it, it wasn't too bad.  We had a fun time at our first parade of the season, but I really wish winter hadn't decided to show up!!  40 degrees and windy made it very cold!  I didn't think I was every going to thaw out.

Here are a few pictures from last night...
 Yes, I am eating the powdered sugar leftover from the funnel cake.  Harry quickly posted this one to Facebook, saying it's the fattest thing I've ever done.  He may be right.
Somehow I ended up holding multiple beers while everyone made bathroom runs.
 the Gills

Not sure why Lance looks so surprised...

 Harry and his faux Ray-Bans he caught

one of the MOM's floats

While we may not have made it to any parades earlier in the season, I did get my door decorated like any good Mobilian.  Door decorations for Mardi Gras are almost as crucial as Christmas.  Last year I made a ornament ball wreath.  However, it did not hold up well on the front door.  One too many slams of the storm door!  This year, I made some repairs and hung it over the fireplace.

For the front door, I attempted deco mesh for the first time.  I have been wanting to try this stuff out.  It's pretty easy to work with.  I did not buy the special wreath form.  Instead, I used a wire wreath frame I already had and bought some purple pipecleaners to attach the mesh.  You basically just bunch and attach.  Easy peasy.  I did take the first attempt apart because my bunches were too spaced out.  I had originally planned to use the green mesh I bought as well, but the store only had lime green and the other decorations were traditional green so I went straight purple.  Added some green glittery ribbon, some harlequin ribbon in mardi gras colors, a few gold fleur-de-lis, and a mask I spray painted gold.  Throw some old beads over the whole thing and its done.  The beauty of Mardi Gras decor is the gaudier the better!!

We have plans to hit up some more parades and will be heading to the Mystics of Time ball next weekend, so look for more pictures to come!

Happy Mardi Gras!
~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment