Friday, February 24, 2012

Foodie Friday

So Foodie Friday this week is a little pitiful.  I have had a cold all week that started Monday night, left me without a voice completely on Wednesday, and is still sticking around.  Needless to say, I haven't been up for a whole lot of cooking. 

Monday night, I tried out Mario Batali's Eggplant Parmigiana.  Definitely good for a vegetarian dish, but I can't say we are dying to have it again.  There's something about the sogginess that eggplant, zucchini, & squash tend to get when baked.  Worth a shot if you are a big eggplant fan.

I have pinned multiple recipes for making homemade apple chips on Pinterest, so I decided to try them out to take a healthy snack with us downtown for Fat Tuesday.  All the recipes are generally the same - core the apples and slice thin.  I used a mandoline.  Some I did 1/4" and some were 1/8"  I like the thinner ones better.  Then sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar, or leave plain.  The recipes vary on what temperature to bake the apples at.  The first batch I tried at 350 for an hour.  Let's just say they were crispy, but not edible.  The next batch I tried at 275 for almost 2 hours.  They are so close but not quite there.  They turned out chewy.  So not a success this go round, but I'm willing to try again.  I think on a low temperature for a longer period of time might be the key.  If you have a mandoline, it takes no time at all to prep the apples.  Stay tuned for Take #3!

 That's about it for recipes this week.  We did, however, make use of some Groupons and tried out a couple of restaurants.  The first was Taste of Vietnam.  I've mentioned before that Cameron loves Asian food, but especially loves Vietnamese.  We got some spring rolls for appetizers - Yum!  Cameron got the Pho (pronounced "fa") which is a traditional soup with noodles, vegetables, and beef or chicken.  If you're really brave you get the one with beef tendon and tripe in it!  I got Vermicelli with pork.  I have to say, I'm a fan!  My chopstick abilities could use some work though.  I can get by eating sushi, but noodles are a whole other story!

We also tried out Jamaican Vibes.  It's one of those strip mall type restaurants in an odd area that you always wonder if it's any good, but you're a little scared to find out.  Thanks to Living Social, we gave it a try and we were not disappointed.  Cameron and I both got jerk chicken with rice & beans and fried plantains.  I have never been to Jamaica, but Cameron has and he has talked about how much he wanted the jerk chicken again for as long as I have known him.  I think he finally found it.  I will admit that it was delicious, but about half way through the meal, I stopped tasting anything because my mouth was on fire!  But I could have eaten an entire plate of the plantains.  I love fried plantains!  Everytime I have been to the Caribbean/Central America, I think I eat them with every meal.  Maybe I should add them to my list of recipes to try out...

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment