Saturday, May 19, 2012

Foodie Friday

Lots of recipes to share this week since I completely skipped last week!  Several are oldies but goodies in our house, but definitely worth sharing.

First up is a recipe I have made many times, but it's so good, I think I need to share it.  My mom has been making Sweet & Sour Meatballs for forever, and it was one of the recipes I took with me to college.  For the longest time, I called it pineapple and meatballs, which apparently didn't sound too appetizing when I offered to make it for my friends!  Everyone always came around once they tasted it.  I actually made this recipe for Cameron when we first started dating.  I think it won him over! ;)

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. dry breadcrumbs
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ginger
1/4 c flour
3 T oil
15oz can pineapple chunks
3 T brown sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/4 c vinegar
1 T soy sauce
1 green pepper, cut in strips
Rice, cooked

Mix ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, and seasonings.  Form 16 balls.  Roll balls in flour.  Brown in oil.  Drain pineapple juice into a measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup.  Stir juice into pan drippings.  Mix brown sugar and corn starch (no lumps!).  Add vinegar and soy sauce and mix together.  Stir into pineapple juice in skillet.  Allow to cook down into a thick sauce.  Add meatballs, pineapple, and green pepper.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve over hot rice.

I decided to make Breakfast Casserole for our beach trip.  I have had this before and went searching for the recipe last fall.  Success!  I actually made this for breakfast on Christmas morning last year.  It's great to make ahead and just put in the oven that morning.  Personally, I do not add mushrooms, tomatoes, or onions to it.  Also, I recommend decreasing the number of eggs from 10 to 7.  It was a hit with the boys and reheats well for the next morning so perfect for a weekend getaway!  (It got devoured before I took a picture, but of course the camera is gone, so I wouldn't have a picture anyways!)

You always need good junk food on a beach trip so I tried out a new cookie recipe to take with us.  Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies via Pinterest were amazing!!  The blogger mentioned keeping them in the freezer - what a genius idea!  a) they don't sit out on the counter, tempting you every time you walk by.  b) they stay fresh longer.  c) somehow they taste better!  You do lose the chewy cookie sensation a bit, but still delicious.  I think they taste better than plain chocolate chip.


For Mother's Day, we had the Gill family over for Cameron's ribs for dinner.  I'm always up for trying out a new dessert when there are other people around to eat it.  I chose a Sweet Tea Icebox Tart recipe that I pulled out of Southern Living.  I tried to make it in my cute ceramic tart dish, but unfortunately it didn't bake evenly.  The gingersnap crust ended up a little overdone.  Overall, it wasn't bad, but it was very reminiscent of key lime pie, just not as good.  The tea flavor really wasn't that prominent.  Oh well, that's why you try new recipes right?


Last night, Cameron  made some delicious fillets!  The Big Green Egg was money well spent!  Who needs Ruth's Chris?
 

That's it for the last two weeks.  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment