Monday, June 11, 2012

Foodie Friday

For the record - I had this post all ready to go until I realized the pictures were on the camera with Cameron on Dauphin Island!

Two new main dishes to share this week.  One Asian dish and a crock pot meal.

I pulled the recipe for Orange-Sesame Noodles with Grilled Shrimp out of Coastal Living magazine.  Cameron is always up for Asian food, and it sounded like something I would enjoy too!  Target didn't have the soba noodles so we opted for the spaghetti.  Definitely a keeper- maybe next time I can find the soba noodles or at least lo mein.

Anytime I go grocery shopping, I peruse the meat aisle for any sales and markdowns.  I found a package of boneless beef short ribs for cheap at Target one day so I thought I'd give them a try.  Then I had to find a recipe for them.  I found one on All Recipes  with good reviews.  I did substitute bbq sauce for chili sauce per some of the reviews.  I have used chili sauce in some Asian recipes and it is very spicy.  There may be another type of chili sauce that I don't know about, but I was hesitant to add 1/2 cup of the Asian kind!  Overall, it was pretty good.  You could easily use the sauce with a typical pot roast.  The vinegar taste was a little strong for my liking, but that could be adjusted.  Not pretty, but here's the picture anyway:



So it is now officially hurricane season on the Gulf Coast.  Cameron and I have a full-size freezer that was given to us by his mom.  Definitely comes in handy storing all the deer meat & fish!  Between that and my sale-shopping habits, it is quite full.  We were discussing the fact that a long-term power outage from a hurricane would mean a lot of food would go bad.  So our solution is to try to eat primarily from our freezer for the next few months.  Which means there may not be lots of new recipes, but I'll try to get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment